Joanna Drucker, Corona Palimpsest (Ligorano/Reese)

On         Mon, 23 Oct 1995 "heather k. rebholz (by way of
pdverhey@mailbox.syr.edu Peter D. said:

> She has written the first book on the history of book arts called A
CENTURY OF
>BOOK ARTS.

Perhaps Heather is referring to   _The Century of Artists' Books_  (Granary
Books, 1995).

and Charles added:

>Maybe the first book on the history of book arts/artists' books this
century,
>but hardly the first book ever on the history of book arts

There have been hundreds of books on book arts (and artists' books) this
century! From general histories like _The Book_ by Douglas McMurtrie
(Coviei-Friede, 1931 and later editions) to very specific subject-oriented
tomes like Bernard Middleton's _A History of English Craft Bookbinding
Technique_.  "Artists' Books" was a popular subject in the 70's with
writers like  Lucy Lippard.  And get a catalog from the Visual Studies
Workshop in Rochester, which may still have Susan's book on Artists' Books
in print.

> Anyway, it is a terriffic book

I'm looking forward to reading it. Did you get an advance look at the mss.
or has Steve Clay finally got copies available?

I'm a fan of Johanna's as well. On Saturday I went to the opening of
_Corona Palimpsest_, a video/book installation by Ligorano/Reese. For
listmembers who aren't familiar with their work, Nora Ligorano is a
binder/conservator/paste-paper maker and her partner Marshall Reese is a
poet/video artist. Their collaborations are a wonderful synthesis of
media/message, and this one includes a chain binding of a video book in
which the book (with its little tv screen) is suspended in the air by four
massive chains which go to the corners of the floor and ceiling of the
gallery. A powerful metaphor in general, as well as link to the early
bindings which were chained to the library furniture (shelves, lecterns).
An eye on the video screen watched you "read" the other book in the
exhibit. Johanna wrote the catalog essay. It's at Cristinerose Gallery (the
address isn't on the catalog, but it's in NYC on West Broadway, somewhere
around No. 391 (below Spring St.).

--
Richard
http://www.avsi.com/minsky/