List Chat

Our first TOTAL INTERNET chat has become a reality. It will be held November
6th, Monday, from 12-1. The first topic will be the role of electronic
communications in the (book)arts. If that's not yur cup o' tea, don't be
scared off. I hope to set an agenda for other chats, so bring yur ideas. The
time will also be fluid, but I thought for starters a brown-bag lunch would
be fun. All you need to do to participate is open a TELNET session and
follow the directions below. I know AOL and COmpuserve both offer telnet,
but you'll have to check your setup to see how to connect. Others, if you
have a unix acct (most academic institutions have them, when you logon type:
telnet. I would advise interested parties asking their network system
administrators for help if unsure. Hope to see many of you there.

Peter

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

I'd like to announce to you that Book_Arts-L will be holding an internet
wide book arts discussion at "Diversity University", a MOO. Our first
discussion will be "moderated" and deal with the role of electronic
communication and the book arts.

To access the MOO, telnet to:   moo.du.org 8888

Once there type:                        connect guest

You will be given a "screen name" by which you will be known during the
session.

Next type:                               @go #18738

This will take you directly to the "artsofthebook" room where we will be
holding our meeting. There are a few basic rules on communication.
1) To speak type:        "hello...... You only the need the quotation mark at the
beginning
2)To act type:           :Raise hand... The colon indicates action. Start your
action off with it.
3)To send speak to an individual type:  to [name] I disagree....

To Quit, type:   /quit

This takes you back to your telnet prompt.

If you survive this experience and want to become a regular, after
connecting to DU (as above) type: @request, and you will be guided through
the sign-on process. There is no fee for this.

These instructions will be in the list archives at
http://palimpsest.stanford.edu under book_arts-l and if this works become a
fixture on our lists "homepage". If you have any questions please contact me
at pdverhey@mailbox.syr.edu

Peter D. Verheyen                                 <wk> 315.443.9937
Conservation Librarian                           <fax> 315.443.9510
Syracuse University Library        <email> pdverhey@mailbox.syr.edu
Syracuse University             <www> http://web.syr.edu/~pdverhey/
Syracuse, NY 13244           <listmgr> Book_Arts-L@listserv.syr.edu