Re: Book Art History

On Oct 26, 1995 11:15:40, '"Judith B. Kerman" <kerman@TARDIS.SVSU.EDU>'
wrote:

>Do you and I live in the same world, Richard? How does one ever get to
>*TOUCH* the real thing, except maybe in for-sale galleries and auctions?
>If one lives in the "hinterlands" and does not have frequent access, and
>the only access at all is the rare museum show, what is one to do?  The
>one day I recently had in New York, I didn't have time to go to Franklyn
>Furnace - but if I had, would they have let me handle anything?  Looking
>at a book under glass is not a whole lot different from looking at a
>picture.

In 1969-71 I spent every Tuesday in the Rare Book Room at NYPL, where Maud
Cole was the librarian. She directed me to many wonderful things, each
brought out and placed on the reading table (on a felt pad) for me to
peruse for as long as I wished. The only rule was no pens on the table.
Even most "hinterlands" have a library within an hour's drive-- perhaps a
University. Ask around. Or come to NYC for one of Mindy Dubansky's
wonderful book tours at the Metropolitan Museum. Spend a few days
intensively in one place or another. *Make appointments* with curators or
librarians to see specific things that interest you. Start anywhere--people
will recommend too many things to follow up on. You can spend several
lifetimes pursuing books. A serious individual is usually welcomed by most
curators. And don't forget private collectors. Some of the best stuff is in
private hands. And of course spend some time in the Morgan Library.

>I am, though, looking for summer workshops that address these questions
>effectively.  Suggestions would be welcome, since I'm already thinking
>about next summer.

Terry Belanger's Rare Book School in Virginia. Center for Book Arts in NYC.
MCBA in Minneapolis.

--

Richard Minsky
http://www.avsi.com/minsky/