Nicholas Pickwoad Lecture

I wish to announce that Nicholas Pickwoad will present the lecture
described below on Thursday, November 30, at 4:30pm, in 101 McCormick
Hall, Princeton University, Princeton, New Jersey.  The lecture is
free and open to the public and will be followed by a reception.  It
is jointly sponsored by the Preservation Office and the Department of
Rare Books and Special Collections, Princeton University Libraries.

For those unfamiliar with his background, Nicholas is a bookbinding
historian who was formerly Chief Conservator at Harvard University
Library as well as Adviser for Book Conservation to the National
Trust in the United Kingdom.  He has also taught and will continue to
teach the course "European Bookbinding, 1500-1800" at Rare Book
School.

"Onward and Downward: How Bookbinders Coped with the Printing Press
Before 1800"

This 50 minute lecture looks at the impact of the printing press on
the work of the bookbinder, at how they were obliged to adapt
existing techniques to new uses, invent new techniques and introduce
new materials in order to keep up with the flow of books through the
booktrade.
Illustrated with approximately 70 slides, it shows how we can learn
from the books themselves about the circumstances of their
manufacture and the place they occupied within the booktrade as a
whole.   A paper based on this lecture has recently been published
in: *A Millenium of the Book*, Winchester: St. Paul's Bibliographies,
1994.

I would be happy to fax, to those requiring it, a map of the
immediate area which indicates municipal parking lots and the lecture
hall.  I hope to see you there.

Robert J. Milevski
Preservation Librarian
Princeton University Libraries
One Washington Road
Princeton, New Jersey 08544
telephone: 609-258-5591; fax: 609-258-4105 or -5571;
email: milevski@firestone.princeton.edu