Re: Final Bookways issue

On Oct 31, 1995 21:31:59, 'Joel Spector <FarrowSt@AOL.COM>' wrote:

>Low tech is more durable, more survivable, more portable, cheaper to
produce and
>easier to replace,

Welcome Luddite brother. But the above is untrue. You can stamp out a CD
for a buck or less. Publishing on the web is as cheap as it gets. Maybe
newsprint is as cheap as a CD, but not as durable. The web makes it
available anywhere anytime, which is very portable (the new pda's grab it
from the air wirelessly), and by disseminating it widely and quickly makes
it harder to censor, an important factor in survivability in a world with a
history of book burnings. And if you've ever tried to get an out of print
book you wouldn't say it was easy to replace. I like being able to download
another copy right now.

Yes, it does require a device which is separate from the information-- I
agree that's a major issue. And it doesn't feel as good in your lap.

But in the very near future multimedia standards will be implemented for
real time web transmission, and we will begin seeing the next generation of
typographic advances (like the ones presented at the American Printing
History Association conference last year from the last decade at MediaLab).
I think that once we get used to following multidimensional transparent
planes of words, where we can watch threads of ideas diverge and see them
branching off, floating in space, there will be a change the human thought
process and in the way literature is written. Books as we know them may be
unable to keep up with these developments. Terry Belanger has the right
idea.

--

Richard Minsky
http://www.avsi.com/minsky/