[Table of Contents] [Search]

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: 'panel' binding

In German it's called a "gebrochener Ruecken, meaning broken spine with the
spine is made seperately from the boards. Originally when it was first used,
a piece was made which also included the boards, longer at the foreedge..
The book was then but in a press and the joints broken so that they would
look like what we associate with a case binding, the crisp germanic version
not the more rounded English version. Another piece of board was then cut to
the same height as the first and again longer at the foredge. It was
adheared to the first with the spacing needed for the grove/joint. The case
foredge was then trimmed and the case was then covered (off and on the
book), and the ends put down.

In the 19th/20th century this basic technique was used to make binding with
leather/vellum/cloth spines and differently covered boards. It is basically
similar to the "english" split board technique.


>>What you described makes me think of a binding style I have only seen
>>demonstrated once called a braedel binding (pronounced "bray-dell,"
>>spelling could be wrong).
>>>Richard has it right conceptually... having been in the biz for the
>>>last 22 years I am familiar with the terms 'quarter bound' and 'half
>Yes, I think it's Bradell, but I'm also not certain of spelling. I used it
>on one book, after seeing it from another press. It can be quite elegant.
>But I lost the original thread -- what do you want to know about it, Scott?

Peter D. Verheyen                                 <wk> 315.443.9937
Conservation Librarian                           <fax> 315.443.9510
Syracuse University Library        <email> pdverhey@mailbox.syr.edu
Syracuse University             <www> http://web.syr.edu/~pdverhey/
Syracuse, NY 13244           <listmgr> Book_Arts-L@listserv.syr.edu

[Subject index] [Index for current month] [Table of Contents] [Search]