Photocopies in conservation and preservation

>>Peter D. Verheyen                                       <wk> 315.443.9937
>>Conservation Librarian                                  <fax>315.443.9510
>>Syracuse University Library               <email>pdverhey@mailbox.syr.edu
>>Syracuse University                    <www>http://web.syr.edu/~pdverhey/
>>Syracuse, NY 13244                <Listowner>Book_Arts-L@listserv.syr.edu

>Have you investigated making a preservation photocopy and having it
>bound.It might be a cheaper alternative than a full restoration and provide
>a user copy  until bucks or technology become an attractive
>alternative.Booklab in Austin Tx does an excellant job and will copy from
>bound or loose sheets.Their number is 512-837-0479,fax 512-837-9794 or
>email70703.104@COMPUSERVE.COM
______________________________________

I am curious about this advice. I have long been suspicious of photocopy
technology for conservation and preservation purposes. I recall being told
by technicians that photocopiers are designed to produce documents that will
last for 10 years, not 200. Naturally paper quality makes a difference, but
the issue is not paper quality, rather toner bonding. Sticking and mirror
images are also problems. My observation of archived photocopies over the
past two decades bears out the concern.

I have also been told that laser printers use photocopier technology, which
is why I prefer ink jet printers for conservation and preservation uses.

With graphics, which was a key consideration in the original "To Bind or Not
to Bind" thread, I would imagine that reproduction quality is another issue
to consider.

Any comment? Are my concerns justified? Is photocopier technology now so
much improved that we don't have to worry?
-- Norman E. Anderson
   anderson@shore.net
   http://www.shore.net/~anderson/