Re: Photocopies in conservation and preservation

Personally, I agree with Mr. Anderson's apprehension of photocopying for
conservation and preservation uses.  Best bet of the past has always
been microfilming or even with the new technology of actually photo-
copying the book directly onto an optical disk so that when the optical
disk is used what the patron sees is the book itself on the screen and
not some hyper-text-ualized bastardization of it.
As for paper quality, one must be wary of what one uses because there are
dubious examples of so-called acid-free be distributed these days.
and again, if you were to do it "right" you'd have to buy the equipment for
yourself, and that in itself is tres cher.  ergo, I would really recommend
or prefer to place a direct image of the book onto an optical disk and
then proceed with the restorartion and or conservation of the original,
for i realize some books must be "mothballed" as a measure of assuring
their continued existence.   That's one reason why I favor the new tech.
(and sometimes even hyper-text) because the availability of electronic
retrieval far out-passes the compulsion of wondering who NOW is fingering
that price-less first edition of Dickens or whatever.  I hope i'm being
clear, let's use the technology to height of its potential to assure that
the works we painstakingly restore are going to last at least 200 years
more.
Thank you for reading this.
Rommel John Miller
RJM1095@sae.ssu.umd.edu