Nonlinear paradigms

Jerry -

I like your analysis of the way that learning changed when people went
from storyteller to raconteur, although I think it oversimplifies.  But
the most cogent examples of people who study books deeply (single books, I
mean) are probably religious scholars, especially in Judaism and Islam.  I
don't know the Islamic textual tradition, but Talmud in Judaism is really
already a hypertext system, based on the "mining" of Torah texts which are
perceived as inherently both discursive and nondiscursive, existing at 4
levels simultaneously (the levels are roughly translatable as
surface/plain meaning, exoteric/legal analysis, extrapolative/midrashic
storytelling and esoteric/kabbalistic mysticism levels).

On Wed, 1 Nov 1995, Jerry Blaz wrote:

> new kind of learning, a kind that appears to violate the discursive nature
> of the knowlege that has traditionally been the center of librarianship as
> exemplified by the book.  Language itself is discursive, and hypertext
> breaks down its linearity, and we really do not understand if or how it will
> create a new change in the knowledge acquisition paradigm similar to the
> change invoked by the invention of movable type.

I keep thinking, the more I see what hypertext impends for literacy, that
Talmud is a valuable model for our "new" relationship to textuality and
to scholarship.

                     _________
|  Kerman  |   (Mayapple Press(/(
   \ ?? /       http://www.svsu.edu/~kerman