Re: Future of the book

On Nov 03, 1995 22:57:54, '"R. Williams" <Boillr@AOL.COM>' wrote:

>if history teaches us anything,
>it is that technology not only liberates us from drugery, it frequently
>inspires us to higher plateaus of creation.

And provides us with the equipment for it. I couldn't have outfitted the
Center for Book Arts with all that letterpress equipment and type if offset
printing hadn't made it obsolete. In 1974-76 I bought a Kelly "B" in
perfect running condition for cost of removal (and a second one for $300),
as well as a 10" x 15" Kluge with automatic feed, a 12" x 18" C&P with
motor, and a 34" power guillotine (with manual screw clamp and back fence).
Foundry type was available from typesetters (the only way to buy it used in
good condition) for the cost of the metal by weight. In 1975 a 16" x 24"
standing press with four feet of daylight was $30 at auction. The
guillotine, type and standing press are still in daily use at the Center.
All the automatic letterpresses were sold (I wasn't involved at the time--I
believe it was around 1980--but I believe the Board had fears of liability
issues with the automated equipment). As technology automates, industry has
to dump less productive equipment to maintain a competitive position.
Graphic arts bankruptcy auctions were good places to meet new interesting
people.

Richard Minsky
http://www.avsi.com/minsky/