Future of the Book

R. Williams makes a valid point but his examples are not the only ones.
Every communications technology has brought with it the predication that
the old ways are dead. Those with a superficial understanding of history
repeat those statements today concerning the book and electronic
technology. Despite the predictions with the invention and widespread
use of film, radio, TV, the book is still here. Neither one has killed
the other and both over time have influenced the development of the
other. The new technology starts off mimicing the old ways and then it
gains confidence and and explores its own strengths. I look forward to
seeing what electronics can do with a text but I suggest we liberate
by giving it a new name. Electronic book is not satisfactory. Let's
reserve the term book for the traditional understanding of a book.