Bookways and the future of the book

I received my final issue of Bookways, on Thursday, and read it cover to
cover yesterday. As I sit thinking about the list, the various bookarts
groups, individuals, the web... I wonder about the future. Bookways painted,
at least it seemed that way to me, a bleak picture of the more traditional
bookarts in some of the essays such as that by Tom Taylor, Deckard Turner
and others. Where are we going inthis field. I come from a traditional
background and with a few exceptions have little patience with many "artists
books." We had the discussion what is a book early on, in the Summer of '94
and that thread can be read from the archives. I don't think it was ever
resolved. Back then, Gary Frost, who signed off, lamented the fact that we
were even discussing the bookarts in this medium, how we could dare to bring
something as multi-faceted, multi-dimensional and tactile up in this drab,
lifeless medium. In a way he was right, but since that time we have seen an
explosion of bookarts resources on the web, many of them interesting and
worth exploring because of how they are presented. Mark Handel's David
Schlater's, and Steve Miller's spring to mind for varying reasons.

This past week saw more postings than any other week as far as I could tell
and many of them dealt with the future of the "book" in this hypertext era.
Does it have one, I think so, very much so in fact. Are there problems with
teh book arts being produced out there, certainly, but in the end we will
come out stronger. My feeling is that Bookways and Fine Print before it,
will rise again, in a different form, different publisher, maybe in this
medium. I personally would like to see an electronic form, with
contirbutions from all our various discplines.

When some, hopefully more than a few of us gather tomorrow to discuss this
aspect of our craft and art, maybe we will think how that medium, and
environment can lead to an even greater exchange of information and growth.
Regular meetings at different times for our members abroad withreal topics,
maybe even presentations... Who knows. I will attempt to record and "clean
up" the log of this meeting and post it to the group, probably on the web.

Til then, Peter

Peter D. Verheyen                                 <wk> 315.443.9937
Conservation Librarian                           <fax> 315.443.9510
Syracuse University Library         <email> pdverhey@dreamscape.com
Syracuse University             <www> http://web.syr.edu/~pdverhey/
Syracuse, NY 13244           <listmgr> Book_Arts-L@listserv.syr.edu