[Table of Contents] [Search]

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: Panel binding, terminology, etc.

Dwight Agner suggested that the lapped case binding might be the term for
this type of binding. I believe that the lapped case binding is the term
coined by Gary Frost to describe the german technique where a tough paper
spine piece is molded over the spine; boards adhered (forming a narrow
joint) to the flanges formed by the spine piece; the whole case thus formed
is then covered by paper or cloth or a combination. I think this style was
common in the 19th century- possibly earlier- and has shown excellent
durability. I have used it myself; however it is NOT the panel binding style
where the boards are covered separately (the defining factor). Any more name


[Subject index] [Index for current month] [Table of Contents] [Search]