[Table of Contents] [Search]

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: Panel binding, terminology, etc.

Scott, that is the classic German gebrochener Ruecken which I described.
Charles Mohr also did a better than job than I of describing the more modern
varient which seems close to what you're looking for.


>Dwight Agner suggested that the lapped case binding might be the term for
>this type of binding. I believe that the lapped case binding is the term
>coined by Gary Frost to describe the german technique where a tough paper
>spine piece is molded over the spine; boards adhered (forming a narrow
>joint) to the flanges formed by the spine piece; the whole case thus formed
>is then covered by paper or cloth or a combination. I think this style was
>common in the 19th century- possibly earlier- and has shown excellent
>durability. I have used it myself; however it is NOT the panel binding style
>where the boards are covered separately (the defining factor). Any more name
Peter D. Verheyen                                       <wk> 315.443.9937
Conservation Librarian                                  <fax>315.443.9510
Syracuse University Library               <email>pdverhey@dreamscape.com
Syracuse University                    <www>http://web.syr.edu/~pdverhey/
Syracuse, NY 13244                <Listowner>Book_Arts-L@listserv.syr.edu

[Subject index] [Index for current month] [Table of Contents] [Search]