Re: book press and glue

>for rebacking I made a bookpress for pressing the old leather on the boards
>over the tapered new leather, how many tons of prerssure would be needed
>and what is the right glue to use. I was told that machine thin split vegatable
>tanned cow hide dyed to matching color is standard rebacking leather
>is that true or the best to use?

In general, real cow hide is much too thick for rebacking, and splitting it
will only make it very weak.  I use either goatskin and a calf, depending
on the grain of the original leather.  I pare leather as little as possible
and I use rice starch paste.  If the leather lifted from the covers is
light, I sometimes use a PVA to stick it down, but I prefer paste used very
lightly.  You have to be careful when pressing the newly rebacked book.  I
usually allow the new leather spine to dry overnight, then put down the
lifted areas and original spine the next day, using just enough pressure to
make everything is stuck.  Careful skiving of both the new and original
leathers usually precludes the need for tons of pressure.  I suggest you
read Bernard Middleton's  "The Restoration of Leather Bindings."

Michael McColgin                               Phone: (602) 542- 4159
Preservation Officer                            Fax: (602) 542- 4402
Arizona State Archives                      Email: mimccol@dlapr.lib.az.us
1700 West Washington                      Smoke Signal: 0 oo 000 o0o0
Phoenix, AZ  85007

                   Conservators make it last longer.