Call for Entries

Building on the success of its first portfolio, produced last year (on a
theme of decorated handmade paper), Hand Papermaking magazine
is pleased to announce its plan to produce a second portfolio. This
limited-edition, juried collection will feature letterpress printing on
handmade paper and will be available in October 1996.

We are now accepting entries from accomplished paper artists and
letterpress printers who would like to be a part of this project. While
we encourage entries from individuals, we also seek collaborative
efforts. Since our jury (Cathleen A. Baker, Margaret Ahrens
Sahlstrand, and Michael Peich) will judge the excellence of both the
paper and the printing, entrants who excel in one area over the
other should consider collaborating with another artist to produce a
finished work combining the strengths of each. The jury will select
no more than one entry from any given printer or papermaker.

Upon selection, each participant will have approximately three
months to produce 150 finished pieces no larger than 8"x10" and no
smaller than 6"x8". At least two colors of ink must be used and each
work must include both text and image. For the portfolio, each
finished piece will be placed in a protective folder. The collection of
folders will be housed in a custom clamshell box accompanied by a
booklet containing statements from each artist and a commissioned
essay by Sandra Kirshenbaum, editor of Fine Print.

Prospective participants may submit either a previously produced
example of letterpress printing on handmade paper along with a
written description of the work proposed for the portfolio; or a
finished specimen of the work itself. Each entry must be
accompanied by a completed entry form, available from Hand
Papermaking.

Hand Papermaking's first portfolio was well received, and can be
found in the libraries of many distinguished collectors and
institutions. We expect a similar reception to this second effort. One
finished portfolio from the edition will be provided in exchange for
each accepted entry.

The deadline for entries is January 15, 1996. Please send an SASE for
more complete details and for an entry form.  Hand Papermaking,
PO Box 77027, Washington, DC  20013-7027.