Adhesives

There have been several discussions and queries regarding glue sticks,
gelatin(e), and YES paste.  Some further information to consider:

The Canadian Conservation Institute (CCI) tested UHU pre-1990 and decided
it was "predominately (poly) vinyl pyrrolidone with some (poly) vinyl
alcohol and water content.  Crosslinking (making it increasingly
difficult to remove) may occur as it ages.  Proprietary recipes can
change and now UHU is sold with a purple colorant (which I dislike).
"Pritt" and "Dennison" glue sticks have been verbally handed-down as
being similarly "safe" for use with paper, however, "safe" is defined by
the parameters of your use.  I use it for my own creations, but I do not
recommend it's use for any valued, historic, or artistic item.  There is
not defined consensus or definition of the term "archival quality"
despite it's prevalent use in advertising.

Gelatin(e) adhesives are proteins and are known to discolor paper.
However, getting purer grades and making small fresh batches (instead of
reheating and cooling the same pot over and over which helps the
discoloration along) is an option for folks who want to work with this
traditional adhesive.  It is sometimes JUST the thing to use.  You can
obtain this material in dry crystal form from science supply and art
supply stores.  Try Aldrich (800-558-9160), Sigma (800-325-3010), or
Fisher (800-766-7000) for science stores.  Others also sell it.

Another protein adhesive is parchment size, which can be more alkaline in
nature (because of it's processing with lime? I suspect).

YES PASTE, is a combination adhesive, known to discolor paper, and VERY
difficult to remove.  I personally refer to the stuff as "Yuck paste"
because I hate it so much.  On the other hand I know many people like
it's working properties and if you don't anticipate ever needing to undo
your endeavor, the difficulty in un-removability is not important.

3M 415 tape is recommended for use with polyester film, not as an
adhesive for paper.  There is no synthetic pressure-sensitive tape that
is suitable for long term use with paper.  And I am including the
so-called "archival" tapes.  Sorry folks.  (Convenience is not always
beneficial.)

Peter will probably get on soon and remind everyone that the conservation
listserv is available through CoOL.  Thank you for your indulgence a bit
off the track of the book-arts-list!

Stephanie Watkins
swatkins@mail.more.net