tree marbled calf

There is a detailed method for producing tree marbled calf in Bernard
Middleton's History of English Craft Bookbinding Technique, pp.
191/3 in both editions.  If that description is not enough to dissuade
anyone from trying it, bear in mind that it is destructive to the leather.
Eventual lack of success can probably be blamed on variations in
tanning methods since the turn of the century.  I doubt that it would
work on anything but vegetable tanned calf made (nowadays)
specifically for bookbinding.

If you don't have access, I will be happy to type up the page and send
it to whoever wants it, or to the list.

Yehuda Miklaf

husband of mfritz@ndc.co.il