Date: Thu, 30 Nov 1995 13:35:05 -0500 (EST)
From: Barbara McIntyre <bmcintyr@merlin.cflc.lib.fl.us>
To: STUMPERS-L@CRF.CUIS.EDU
Subject: ? paper size

Despite herculean efforts I have not been able to answer a patron's
question about why standard typing paper is sized 8 1/2 by 11". To give
you some idea of where I've looked- besides standard reference on
printing, paper I wrote to the International Assn. of Paper Historians in
Germany.  The gentleman who answered refered me to Dictionary of Paper and
Paper making terms that I got ILL from Peabody Library in Nashville.  At
this point I almost know more about sizes- there are foolscap and
imperial- ranging from 3X 11/2 ( gentscards) to 72 x 48 emperor--than I
ever cared to know but still not why typing paper ended up at its present
size-- even read some histories of the typing machine...