book arts programs

Last time I checked (2 years ago), SUNY Purchase offered an MFA in the
bookarts. I looked into it, and I am under the impression that the focus
was on creating "artist books", but there was a strong focus on
craftsmanship. I visited and liked the small college atmosphere, but no one
from the bookarts department was there to talk to me. Also, the Univ. of
Texas' program is an MLIS with a conservation certification. You do learn
binding skills, but it is not a book arts program per se. However, Austin
seems to have a thriving book arts scene with opportunities for workshops.
I don't know yet, because I have two days left of the semester (I shouldn't
even be writing this- procrastination.) Also, Columbia College Center for
Book and Paper Arts is a great place! Everyone there is wonderful. They
offer a masters in interdisciplinary arts with a concentration in paper or
book arts. Chicago is a wonderful place to be involved in bookbinding. Hope
my info on SUNY is correct, and I hope I've helped.- Tanya

Tanya DiMaggio
Gregory Fisk
anthill@mail.utexas.edu