Request for literature

Anybody there to lend a helping hand...

I'm tackling an essay about the changing role of the craftsman (bookbinder,
bookmaker..) and the artefact they produce, in a historical context. How the
craftsman's role within a social system affects the process of making, the
structural qualities & aesthetic appearance of the artefact...etc.
I'm looking for books/articles that might be of help, anything from the
earliest times of making books to the present...
Also if any of you professional bookbinders and -makers would share your
opinions of how you see your role as a craftsman today, I'd be both
fascinated and grateful.

You could reply to me direct if you wish: miah@roehampton.ac.uk

Best Wishes,
Mia Hakala~