Re: Not-for-profits & private enterprise

>If you open up such listings for
>faculty, students are like to want similar treatment.  If a faculty
>member can list such works for sale, why not a student?  And then the
>question becomes how to you determine what is being listed...could not a
>student choose to list other items as well?
>
>> Thanks for all the good thinking!
>
>Likewise!
>

>Jim Downey

If you peruse the various email lists, you will see plenty of offers to sell
various items such as books, computers, cars, CDs, tapes, and other strange
and sundry items of merchandise on EDU accounts by students, faculty and
staff.  Were the universities to monitor what comes out of all of the
accounts regarding commercial offers, they would suddenly find themselves in
a completely different line of work than any academecian ever imagined.

I have even seen a flame war break out between two posters to a list for
selling items, where each was calling the kettle black.  One was posting
from an EDU account; the other from a GOV account.

As has been noted by Richard (I believe that is his name) there is, from an
IRS point of view, certainly leeway for marginal commercial lines for which
an educational purpose can be shown.  I am a commercial entrepreneur, but my
curriculum vitae includes many work and volunteer experiences in the
nonprofit or not-for-profit area.  However, I have known not-for-profits who
have been operating as though the mere mention of a commercial product
within the precincts of any official aspect would bring down the Wrath of
Khan upon them, so that they have to drink diet colas rather than a diet Coke.

As a result, one organization like this, a reducing club, operating as a
non-profit and depending on members, has been losing members for years
because they monitor the club's operations so closely to prevent any
inadvertent "intrusion" of a commercial product, etc.  Honestly, the tax
laws are not written to make an organization's operation unmanageable.  If
the tax laws governing the 501(c)(3) status of an organization were so
draconian that they demand a suicide pill in order to operate, it would mean
the end of that status.
        Jerry Blaz/The BOOKie Joint
        7246 Reseda Blvd.
        Reseda, CA 91335
        (818)345-2983/(818)343-1055
        ffdog@earthlink.net
                Outside of a dog, a man's best friend is a good book.
                Inside of a dog, it is too dark to read.
                                G. Marx