Virtual Mentoring/Distance Ed...

We were talking on the MOO on Saturday (present were Michael Joseph, Jack
Sinclair, Terry Rowley and Peter Verheyen) and decided we would like to try
some sort of virtual mentoring where inexperienced book artists could ask
more experienced collegues technical... questions and get feedback.This was
an idea which sprang out of our discussion about training and education, and
makes possible some form of distance education, which could be suplemented
through documents on the web and email/snail mail. It can work even in this
kind of medium.

If any experienced binders/book artists are interested in this, they should
get in touch with me. Likewise, if this is something you might want to take
advantage of let me know.

Sessions would  take place on the MOO allowing for realtime exchange of
ideas, discussion so to speak.

It is an exciting concept and could work. If anyone want to give it a try,
please respond, preferably to me (pdverhey@dreamscape.com) or the list. I
have also updated the logon instructions to the MOO and they now include an
additional section on connecting in a parallel session to the MOO with your
webbrowser making it all much more visual.

I'd also like to get some kind of idea as to what topics YOU would want to
discuss, what times are good, what YOU think. I am going to try to make
these chats regular and hope that participation grows.

If people have sets of instructions for things they would be interested in
posting let me know and we can put them up. If you mark them up in html
before sending them to me, bonus, and a gold star for making my life easier.
Let's make this a much better resource than it already is.

Have a great New Year, Peter

Peter D. Verheyen                                 <wk> 315.443.9937
Conservation Librarian                           <fax> 315.443.9510
Syracuse University Library        <email> pdverhey@mailbox.syr.edu
Syracuse University             <www> http://web.syr.edu/~pdverhey/
Syracuse, NY 13244           <listmgr> Book_Arts-L@listserv.syr.edu