Re: Foxing

I read that foxing in some cases could be iron in the water in the rag
beating process
before ca. 1790 when handmade paper the norm, using wooden hammers.
after 1790 with the mechanical paper machine-one endless sheet. -they used a
iron rag beating machine that put a lot of iron in the paper-like books from
1810-
1850s that have dark foxing spots-pieces of iron possibly.