Re: Inkjet printing.

Concerning Rommel's comments on paper weight and computer printers, it is
definitely a problem to print with a laser printer (essentially xerox
technology) on heavy textured stock - the toner doesn't work, and the
letters rub off.  Believe me!  But this is *not* the same issue for an ink
jet printer at all.  The ink, like any liquid ink, appears to penetrate
the surface.  I've had perfectly good results with my Canon Bubblejet on a
rather stiff heavy textured paper that was impossible for my laser
printer.  Let's not confuse these technologies - they are very different.
I would agree - generally, 20# for laser printers, although I've done card
stock successfully too.  But this textured stuff is inkjet-rated by Paper
Direct, and it's got to be at least 80# cover stock.

                     _________
|\        /|       /________/(
|? \    / ?|      (________(/(___
|??? \/ ???|    /_(________(/__/(
|   Judy   |   (______________(/(
|  Kerman  |   (Mayapple Press(/(
| Saginaw, |   (______________(/
 \ ? MI ? /
   \ ?? /       http://www.svsu.edu/~kerman
     \/

On Tue, 23 Jan 1996, Rommel John Miller wrote:

> Excellent replies to the hazards of an unfixed inkjet printing.  I bring
> this up primarily because the Vellum chart I purchased from Karen
> Crisalli's _Bookbinder's Warehouse_ seems to have been printed on a
> heavier stock than most Inkjets are designed to handle.  I might be
> wrong, but I've always heard HP say that 20 pound, 75% rag content
> was about the heaviest their inkjets could handle and so anything heavier
> would reject the normal fixative in the toner/ink mixture.  And here's
[snip]
> Ok this Vellum sample chart like I said was printed undoubtedly on a laser
> printer or an inkjet, both on heavy stock without appropriate fixative
> agents are quite insufficient and the only real solution is to achieve the
> same end on a (you guessed it) LETTERPRESS.  Ink is ink and only the
> scribe's nib is better than the letterpress' think and pasty ink  (gooey
> too [-ey]) and the printer, beit Dot Matrix (24 pin or even 36 pin I'm
> told they exist), laser or inkjet just don't compare

These are three entirely different technologies, Rommel.  I appreciate
your fondness for oldtech, but each to their own purposes.  If we had to
hand-write books, we'd be back in the Middle Ages, no?  In more ways than
one...

No offense taken by this emphatic desktop publishing aficionado.

                     _________
|  Kerman  |   (Mayapple Press(/(
   \ ?? /       http://www.svsu.edu/~kerman
     \/