Ink Jets

I've found this thread very interesting so far.

My concerns are these. As more and more artists go to self publishing using
inkjets, and some of these publication are not cheap, several preservation
issues come into play. This is the Conservator/Pres. Admin. in me talking,
but if I spent $200 for a book I would want it to last, the pigments not to
fade (before their time) etc. I'm less concerned with the ink running when
wet, we should try to keep our books dry, but more with rapid fading. If a
collector or collection purchases one of thes books, do they com with a
disclaimer saying do not display or expose to light? I'm all for progress,
and love computers (why else would I do this list, among others) but I think
we need to think about the materials we use and how we use them. The other
option is to issue a dadaesque manifesto say that this art is meant to self
destruct...

Alright, enough of my ranting/whining. Let's get back on track.

Peter

Peter D. Verheyen                                 <wk> 315.443.9937
Conservation Librarian                           <fax> 315.443.9510
Syracuse University Library        <email> pdverhey@mailbox.syr.edu
Syracuse University             <www> http://web.syr.edu/~pdverhey/
Syracuse, NY 13244           <listmgr> Book_Arts-L@listserv.syr.edu