Re: Inkjet

Hi, Rommel -

As a mostly computer-oriented small press person, I have some quizzical
reactions to your last post.

> the BJ130 or Stylus 1000!  Am I correct in assuming that a process
> similar to off-set is being used in those printers?  How dilute is the

Not hardly.  More like spray-painting on a microscopic scale.

> good old letterpress, but to be honest, some of the old-tyme little ones
> like the Baltimore 10 or the Bluepress Deluxe really send me into a near
> nirvana state of consciousness.  I mean nothing could replace the joy
> of type-setting and printing cards &c. on a 3 x 3.25 chase and a Baltimore
> 10,

I love designing on a computer, but got my initial graphics training (very
much apprentice mode) from a fellow student who had a little letterpress,
and I think I even set up a block of type once upon a time in the dark
ages of my youth.  I'm quite sure that people who enjoy handsetting type
find computer design a very pale ghost - I won't even say descendant - of
the hand process.  Mouse and keyboard just are not lead type slugs.
That's OK with me; I don't like throwing clay pots either (I collect them
instead), and assembling the physical book is not my favorite part of book
art. Some aspects of the design process may be similar, but actually
getting images and text onto paper with a computer vs. a letter press is
entirely different as a work process. And the look will always be
different.  It means something extra when letter press is perfect - the
letterpress printing of my own poetry that has ever been done has always
had typos and some unevenness of type. I enjoy that (the "mark of the
maker's hand" etc.), but I know that's not the real letterpress
aficionado's goal.

And after all a culture only becomes sentimental about the unintended
artifacts of hand operations once they've become either quaint or
treasured as art processes (that is, superseded for everyday use by more
precise machine processes). This is the origin of folk arts, isn't it - a
19th century invention, a side-effect of industrialization. I met a proud
reproduction blacksmith at the Hale Farm and Village (Cuyahoga National
Recreation Area near Akron, OH) who said that the best professional
blacksmiths in the old days, the ones who were an essential part of the
economy, were trying for exactly the precision and sleekness that we now
associate with cheap machine processes and therefore take for granted.

> But let me just say, if Bubble and Ink jets are what some of you
> are saying they, then gosh, golly, gee, I've got to get me one, and which
> software would be best to utilize the widest varieties of fonts?

Pagemaker or Quark Express - a Mac if you want something optimized for
designers and are willing to play Russian roulette with the computer
market situation; a Pentium with Postscript fonts (so I hear) if you want
to save a little money and be sure the thing will be around a few more
years.  I've never become a Mac person, but it will be a shame if they go
under, because they've pushed the envelope, dragging IBM and the clones
along toward better functionality at every step.

                     _________
|  Kerman  |   (Mayapple Press(/(
   \ ?? /       http://www.svsu.edu/~kerman
     \/