Re: Inkjet

>> But let me just say, if Bubble and Ink jets are what some of you
>> are saying they, then gosh, golly, gee, I've got to get me one, and which
>> software would be best to utilize the widest varieties of fonts?
>
>Pagemaker or Quark Express - a Mac if you want something optimized for
>designers and are willing to play Russian roulette with the computer
>market situation; a Pentium with Postscript fonts (so I hear) if you want
>to save a little money and be sure the thing will be around a few more
>years.  I've never become a Mac person, but it will be a shame if they go
>under, because they've pushed the envelope, dragging IBM and the clones
>along toward better functionality at every step.

Thanks, Judith. But let me just put in a plug for FrameMaker (which is
available either for Windows or Mac or some other platforms as well) IF you
are primarily working in book design or long document design. It's a great
program and very stable on the computer, although I wouldn't necessarily
recommend it for advertising design or other areas where lots of graphics
and color are your primary problems to solve. In terms of utilizing the
widest variety of fonts, that can be tricky. Fonts take up memory, so it is
always a good idea to winnow down to the ones you really need. Although for
me that may be some 40 different font families, that's a lot less than it
could be. Fonts come from Adobe and others. Some companies, including Adobe,
even offer CD's with all their fonts, and you can then order and pay for the
codes to "unlock" various fonts as you need them. If you're using postscript
fonts with a Windows system, it's probably a good idea to have Adobe Type
Manager. And if you like to play around with altering fonts or creating ones
yourself, then Fontographer is also a good idea.

Let me also say that I do work with such programs and I love it, but I don't
love it as much as printing metal type on great paper. There seems on this
list to be a particular fondness for Mohawk Superfine -- I've printed on it
and I can't quite understand why. Even Mohawk makes what I consider better,
more interesting papers -- Mohawk Vellum and Mohawk Letterpress. But even
those are not really among my favorites. And of course, printing on handmade
paper is a delight, although it also can offer some major challenges. But I
imagine that anyone printing letterpress these days rather likes challenges.

I also believe that printing/designing at the typecase and press with metal
type can be a marvelous discipline which can positively influence one's work
with computers and type/page/book design.

charles alexander
chax press
alexander writing/design/publishing