Re: Inkjet printing.

While on the subject (are we?) of the alleged superiority of
letterpress printing except in the cases of "letters, resumes and
reports", my sweetheart and I, letterpress printers both, did a highly
unscientific study in the fall of 1993 to try to determine whether there
was any apparent rational basis in how different printer/publishers
priced their various productions, and using all the bookseller's catalogs
we had then on hand (more than one might think), we arrived at a figure
(for 1993) of between 14 and 15 dollars per beautiful, funky, hot metal
page. At this figure, D. Cockerell's "Bookbinding and the Care of Books" would run
$5,085 (higher estimate), Joan Lyon's "Artist's Books", $4,035, and
Keith Smith's "Structure of the Visual Book", $3,585. Needless to say,
out of my price range; in their blessedly accessible, utilitarian offset
versions, perpetually useful in this printer's library. This "letterpress
and only letterpress" attitude irks! Would you build a house with only
one tool? Gah!