Dickens quotation

Some time back I saw the quote below on the Letterpress discussion
list.  I have been unable to determine from which work it comes,
though it was attributed to Dickens.  Can anyone help?
...Without him tyrants and humbugs in all countries would have their
own way.  He is a friend of intelligence and thought, a friend of
liberty, of freedom, of law, indeed the friend of every man who is a
friend of order.  Of all inventions, of all discoveries in science
and art, of all the great results in the wonderful progress of
mechanical energy and skill, the printer is the only product of
civilization necessary to the existence of free men.