Hardcover case & endpapers for paperbacks

Would anyone have any suggestions for the following scenario?
I have been asked to remove the paper cover from a perfect bound paperback
(which I have done) and rebind it into a hardcovered case binding.
Normally, since one isn't re-sewing, one tips on single-fold endpapers,
wraps the spine (and onto the endpapers) with linen, and attaches the case
by pasting down the board papers. I have done this before and it seems to
work alright, although not if the book was to be subjected to heavy use, or
if the book was heavy itself - neither being true in this scenario.
My problem is the client has chosen a Japanese-style endpaper which I don't
really think is strong enough to hold, although the linen will help. I've
though about a made endpaper (which sort of negates the good qualities of
the Japanese paper). Does anyone know of another endpaper construction
which would work in this case (no pun intended)?
Thanks, Richard.