Re: query

Dorothy,

I think the key words in your post were large and institutional.  From
where I'm sitting (also a large institutional research library) the current
thinking on technicians seems to come from a production POV.  The skilled
part of the job is downplayed and we get very little information re: up-
grading skills, historical background, or new ideas exchange with other
institutions/bookbinders.

I don't know about the official title, but it is clear to me that the
opportunities that go along with this job are very limited.

I hope more dialogue comes of this.  I'm new to this list, but I hope there
is room for techs AND administrators here.

Luann