silking title pages

I was bidding on a book(18 cent) that had title page that was silked--how do
you do that
is it silk and wheat paste or what is the purpose of it? and how good does
it look?

also some of my books around 1780s on the spine have "red rot" the leather has
the tooling left but the leather has turned to powder, so a book said to spray
kylon clear lacquer to bind the powder and somewhat preserve the gold tooling
is there any other method of preserving it?