Silking title pages

CEO comments:
Forgive me if this has already been sent - there is someting strange
going on here with the computer.

CEO file contents:
         Silking of documents is no longer practiced, as the useful life of
         the  technique  was  and  is far too short for the preservation of
         'archival' paper.  The materials used in this technique would also
         raise concerns about the long term safety of this method.

         Preserving Archives and  Manuscripts  by  Mary  Lynn  Ritzenthaler
         (Pub: Society of American Archivists) is a good general reference,
         and contains a little information on silking.

         Red  rot  can sometimes be treated successfully with a solution of
         "Klucel" (Hydroxy propyl  cellulose).  I  suggest  you  contact  a
         conservator for advice with sourcing a supply and application.

         Jonathan London
         National Archives of New Zealand
         jonathan_london@ceo.dia.govt.nz