Re: BANISTER

Alors!  IMHO I would *-_NEVER_-* use the Elmer's variety for anything
other than a child's project, but I'd be more inclined to use homemade
paste first.  I mean Banister's book is great in some respects, especially
where improvisation is concerned, but I don't think I'll refer to him as
a mentor in the area of Bookbinding, Laura Young, Arthur Johnson and
Keith Smith seem best destined for that distinction as book-learning
mentors, but I know that as I have learned spirituality from reading
Thomas Merton, so too might I learn bookbinding from either of those
three.  My insight was to say Banister's is a great book if one wants to leanr
learn rudiments, and if they really DON'T have a great deal of money to
invest in professionally made equipment, Banister's illustrations also
provide a very detailed look at the steps involved in the production of
a new case, and to me, that is essential for the novice to learn, I mean
figuring out how the cords are flay-ed on the boards so as to become
virtually indistinguishable is something I've always wondered about, for
years I simply thought that the super (mull) held the block to the cover
and I often wondered why the book didn't fall apart.  In time is always
proves to be that 19th C. books will split at the hinge or grove, and while
I have torn these books down and in so doing discovered the sunked cord and
the three-up/two down stiching method, I was never quite able to appreciate
the artistry in adapting cords to the flatsurface of the board.  Bannister's
book illustrates that process much better than other books on the subject
have and for that I am grateful.

        But please don't get me wrong, in no way would I recommend Banister
as the only author for the craft, heaven's no, I am just recommending this
book to those who, like me, feel intimidated by the cost of the equipment
and who might want to try building a peice on their own.  Who can deny that
Banister's sewing frame isn't efficiently functional and yet so simple?
I mean as an ethicist I am also something of an aesthetician, and I really
do appreciate the finer aspects of wood threading and the elaborate design,
but do they realy need to be so darn expensive, and if you can build a
sewing table as Banister describes and at a fraction of the cost, then why
not do it?  The same is true of the Standing Press, it might cost $100.00
for me to build, but it most certainly beats paying $300.00 or more
for the ones advertised in the University Products or American Printing
catalogues.  Cost efficiency and high standards of production are essential
and I would like to incorporate them in all aspects of my craft, but in the
book itself these elements are most essential and so I shall endeavor to
purchase only the quality threads and silks, and even type and holders,
but if I can make a sewing frame or lying press and plough, than I shall
do that also.  My point, if we take pride in the books we craft, why can't
we also take pride in the ingenuity of or equipment, and if you can build
it yourself then why not?  Your craft can only be enriched in doing so, I
am just saying that Banister provides the impetus by which one might begin
to build their own hardware.  No offense to anyone out there, especially
Richard, its just that I am poor and can't afford the $2,000.00+ I'll need
to get started in the craft, ergo my hope in finding the resource to do it
myself.  I hope I haven't offended anyone.
Rommel