Re: BOOK_ARTS-L Digest - 25 Feb 1996 to 26 Feb 1996

>If people are interested I can post a list of commercial papers I
know print
>well on the Canon and in an HP laser printer.
>Kathy

We use older 400 dp NeXT laser printers, which are Canons in
disguise. After several different tries, we stick to Weyerhauser
First Choice Premium Laser Printer in 24#. I was shocked at how
poorly the other papers did, in terms of reliable quality, lint, etc.
We have literally not had a single  bad sheet of the Weyerhauser. We
buy it by the 10 ream box. Both the printer and the paper are so
reliable that we run them as production printers for big projects in
our office, grinding out 500 sheets at a time, and it will produce
the camera-ready copy for a book project.

However, we have had many problems using refilled laser cartridges.
In attempts to be thrifty and environmentally conscious, we had
traded our used cartridges to be refilled, and have bought cheaper or
refilled brands. The results were 95 % unacceptable. The companies
that refill them do their own custom mixes, and I think at least one
company we did business with was using the Joy of Cooking. It could
be that some of the problems people report are based on refilled
cartridges. We still sell our empty ones back to the company that
refills them, but we buy ours new. I refuse to let the refilled ones
near my printer anymore. One almost exploded, leaving our printer
filled with toner. In another case, the toner broke down and I
printed scummy sheets for a day.

Pat Wagner
Pattern Research
P.O. Box 9845