Fan-gluing, wooden presses

> Date:    Tue, 27 Feb 1996 14:34:13 -0600
> From:    "Rupert N. Evans" <r-evans4@UIUC.EDU>
> Subject: Re: Perfect Binding
>
> Yes, I have used the double-fan method. It is probably the most secure and
> permanent method of fastening single sheets into a book block. I would not,
> however, call it flexible. It makes a very firm bookblock which is very much
> like a mouse trap.

    I would question the adhesive used if your fan-glued bindings are not
flexible.  I run an in-house library bindery and have fan-glued tens of
thousands of books and periodicals in the last ten years.  If the adhesive
used is both slightly elastic and flexible and the spine is properly lined
the finished binding should also be flexible.  I recommend a PVA adhesive
and a simple test for ascertaining a particular PVA's potential for fan-
gluing.  On a three by card lay a  several inch bead of glue on the left
side of the card and brush out a smear on the right side.  Let the glue dry
thoroughly. Once dry (usually overnight) flex, bend and fold the card
across the dried glue.  If the glue cracks or breaks, it is unsuitable for
fan-gluing.  I have used several flexible PVAs adhesives over the
years and currently use Wisdom 1503 produced by Wisdom adhesives, a company
whose specialty is bookbinding adhesives.

    In addition to using a proper adhesive, flexibility is achieved by
properly lining the spine.  Too much lining on the spine decreases
flexibility. I use a single strong, tight woven (68x68 thread count -
throw those cheese cloth liners aways) cotton liner on all of my fan-glued
bindings. No further linings are needed. Each additional liner will make
the spine stiffer.  Flexibility can also be hindered if the gluing extends
too deeply between the pages.  The amount of penetration between the pages
should probably be 1/32 of an inch or less.

    Properly executed, fan-glued bindings can be both flexible and
durable.  Fan-gluing is a simple and efficent way to consolidate single
leaves.  The final product can mimic most any book style from paperback to
a traditional, rounded-and-backed, case-bound book to a newer flat backed,
flat opening, hardbound style (dubbed the adhesive quarter-joint
binding) that I have developed and used extensively in-house here at St.
Bonaventure University.

    That said, let me see if I can plug my business-on-the side without
sounding like an advertisement while still getting enough information
across so those who are interested can contact me for more.  In addition
to being the full time bookbinder/preservation officer at St. Bonaventure
University, I have started a small business manufacturing two presses
I have developed over the years.  These are wooden presses with steel
hardware.  One press is designed for fan-gluing.  The other press, which
I have named a Casing Press, is a small wooden press that can be used as a
nipping press or, with an optional stand, a finishing press, or with
optional backing boards, a light-duty backing press.  If anybody is
interested in more information I have some brochures I can send out.  My
business contact information is  TeMPeR Productions, 117 South 14th Street,
Olean, NY 14760, Tel. (716) 373-9450, email - 76242.3073@compuserve.com.

Pete Jermann                    |          St. Bonaventure University
Preservation Officer            |          St. Bonaventure, NY 14778
Friedsam Memorial Library       |          (716) 375-2324