Re: design printers

> I wonder if other printers
>have wrestled with this?(signing a book they have produced).

In my view,  both the printer and binder of a book are craftspersons, not
artists. It is for them to take pride in their own work and perform it at a
level of quality commensurate with their skills. Historically the printer has
been able to "sign" a piece with an explanatory colophon and/or pressmark.

The work of both the book designer and the printer is to do their work in a
non-intrusive manner so the message of the text is exhibited in its best
light. Beatrice Warde's essay on typography with its reference to typography
as "a crystal goblet" within which the "wine" of the text is exhibited is an
apt analogy of my own feelings regarding the work of my press.

There have been occasions in which I have been asked by the purchaser of a
book to autograph it for them, and I have complied, but I would not sign
every book prior to sale.
My signature would be intrusive, after all how many times have you been asked
to "put your "John Henry" on something?

John G. Henry - Cedar Creek Press