Re: Reply to: ironing

At 10:26 AM 2/29/96 +12, you wrote:
>CEO comments:
>From: Jonathan London:DIA
>Date: ## 02/29/96 10:26 ##
>As far as I know it was to set the inks, so that the aristocatic
>fingers were not sullied with dirty marks from the ink!!
>
>Preceeding Message:
>From: (Claudia Stall) cstall@MAIL.SDSU.EDU:smtp
>Date: ## 02/29/96 10:16 ##
>In aristocratic circles it was common in England for butlers to iron
>the morning paper before giving it to the master.
>
>Was this to set the ink? or for wrinkles? or?
>
>Claudia Stall

Historically, there probably was a bit more to it. In the days of the common
press, paper was dampened before it was printed, and the type embossed the
paper very seriously. Books were put under pressure with cardboard between
each sheet to remove the embossing, but it is likely that news sheets were
distributed without this refinement. A hot iron would do it nicely.
|   Rupert N. Evans                     Voice   217-337-7833     |
|   Prairie Publications                        Fax     217-337-7469     |
|   101 West Windsor Road, #4107        e-mail  r-evans4@uiuc.edu        |
|   Urbana, IL 61801                                             |