MCBA at MCAD

_______________________________
Minnesota Center for Book Arts
_______________________________

TO:  Friends of Minnesota Center for Book Arts (MCBA)

FROM: Jay Cowles, Chair and Acting Executive Director and Catherine Brown, Vice
Chair

RE:  Announcement Regarding "MCBA at MCAD"

Attached is an Announcement regarding discussions to relocate MCBA to the campus
of the Minneapolis College of Art Design (MCAD), and to strengthen further our
programs through shared services with MCAD.  We are telling you about these
discussions now so that the Board and staff of MCBA can get your reactions and
suggestions as we continue to shape this exciting proposed alliance.

In the weeks ahead, we will be scheduling a variety of presentations and
discussions with the key constituents of MCBA.  If you would like to attend a
meeting, or share your thoughts with us, please call Linda Johnson, Associate
Director of MCBA, or any of us directly.

In this scenario, MCBA will continue as an independent institution with its
original mission intact.  We would enter into an agreement with MCAD, and would
locate virtually all of our activity on the MCAD campus (we would give up our
Third Street home completely).  MCAD has significant papermaking and printing
facilities in place, and a desire to strengthen its Master's level program in
the book arts, with the help of MCBA. In our view, this move should permit
continuity in virtually all of our programs areas (exhibition, classes, artist
residencies, library, retail sales.., publishing and outreach), while adding a
variety of new resources.

Every change incurs a sense of loss, and the prospect of leaving our original
home for the past ten years can appear daunting.  However, we would not be
proposition this possible move if we did not see significant advantages for the
future.  This new arrangement holds potential for even stronger programs as well
as critical organizational efficiencies.

We appreciate very much you support of MCBA, and look forward in the coming
weeks to sharing our hopes for an even brighter future.

_______________________________
Jay Cowles, Chair and Acting Executive Director: (612) 373-9828

Catherine Brown, Vice Chair: (612) 627-1850 extension 207

Anastasia Faunce, MCAD Director of Public Relations: (612) 874-3793

Linda Johnson, Associate Director of MCBA: (612) 338-3634
_______________________________

(03/22/96 Minneapolis, MN)  Minnesota Center for Book Arts and the Minneapolis
College of Art and Design have entered discussions to explore the possibility of
MCBA relocating to MCAD.

The Discussions to date include the prospect of the two organizations combining
some parts of their operations in order to better serve their respective
constituencies.  "The MCBA board is pursuing our ability to serve our mission.
We believe this move may be an excellent opportunity for MCBA to create an even
more dynamic regional and national resource for the book arts," comments Jay
Cowles, chairman of MCBA.

For MCAD, "this joining of forces would help accelerate the college's investment
in and commitment to the field of book arts,"  says MCAD President  John L.
Slorp.  "Our goal is to offer a comprehensive, high quality teaching program in
this field.  By having MCBA at MCAD, both organizations will be able to draw on
each other's  resources to have an impact on the book arts field at all levels".

MCBA, which has been conducting a national search for and executive director,
will continue that search as these discussions progress.

If both organizations agree to a relocation of MCBA at MCAD transition would
likely occur this summer.  Meanwhile, all current programs at MCBA are expected
to continue as planned.

Minnesota Center for Book Arts (MCBA) is an independent arts organization
dedicated to advancing  the field of books arts,. which include papermaking,
letterpress printing, and book binding.  Its programs address both historical
craft as well as contemporary art, and include a variety of education,
exhibition, artist development and outreach activities.  Opening in 1985, MCBA
immediately gained national recognition for the scope and quality of its
programs, and last year involved over 10,000 people at its facility in the
Minneapolis Warehouse district.

Founded in 1886, the Minneapolis College of Art and Design is an independent,
accredited institution offering a four-year curriculum integration the Liberal
Arts, into professional B.F.A. degree programs in Fine Arts, Media Arts and
Design, and a two-year M.F.A. degree program in Visual Studies.  The campus, one
of the finest art college facilities in the country, is located at 2501 Stevens
Avenue, Minneapolis.

_____
MC
BA