Re: Bookbinding Supplies?

Michael Blum wrote:

> I'm new to the list, and new to bookbinding.  However, I've been
> reading up on the process, and I think I'm almost ready to give
> it a shot.  I was hoping someone out there might be able to
> suggest reputable suppliers for basic bookbinding materials
> (paper, cloth, binder board, etc.).  Suppliers in Virginia,
> especially around the Williamsburg or Richmond area, would be
> of particular use, but anybody with a good mail-order reputation
> will do.  If you've had this discussion recently on the list, I
> apologize in advance for the repetition.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mike Blum
> mxblum@mail.wm.edu

Here's my list of favorite resources:

BOOKMAKERS - Maryland - ph: (301)459-3384
  Excellent quality supplies - good prices
UNIVERSITY PRODUCTS - Massachusetts - ph: (800) 628-1912
  Excellent quality supplies - terrific catalog
COLOPHON BOOK ARTS SUPPLY - Washington - ph: (360) 459-2940
  Good supplies - decent prices
TALAS - New York - ph: (212) 219-0770
  Good catalog - decent prices - kinda slow delivery
CONSERVATION MATERIALS LTD - Nevada - ph: (702) 331-0582
  Good assortment of supplies - okay pricing
JERRY'S ARTARAMA - New York - ph: (516) 328-6633
  Huge assortment of reasonably priced art supplies
NASCO ARTS & CRAFTS - California - ph: (800) 558-9595
  Again, huge selection of art supplies and great catalog

As you can see, I get almost all of my supplies from mail order ---
I find a far better selection and better pricing this way.  Although I
am not a bookbinder, I restore books, posters, original art, comic
books, etc.  we use many, if not most of the same equipment and
supplies.
                                Good shopping!
                                Kelley Miles Essoe
                                Collector's Restoration Service