tyvek

I should have said in the first posting that I know tyvek is supposed to be
suitable for use in conservation.  Spider was right to remind me of that, but
I wonder if it really is all that inert since it is not an old enough
material for us to really know.  If you live in a recently constructed house
this may be an unsettling thought since the building trades seem to use it for
insulation these days.  Keep an eye on your canary, I say, for signs of
respiratory distress.  More to the point, I recall that Bill Minter had a lot
of problems when he first started making his sonic sealers and found that
only some kinds of mylar would work because the makers weren't all that
careful about the recipe.  Since only a minute fraction of the total amount
of mylar made was used for conservation, the makers had no reason to pay
much attention to such concerns.  I don't know what the  general status of
mylar production is now, but I would suspect that the makers of tyvek are
as little concerned with the question as the makers of mylar were.
   Anyhow, tempting as it is I plan to wait a while before I use it in the
repair of valuable materials.  I would hope that investigation continues
though, because tyvek does have great potential.
Dorothy