Re: OIL OF EGG

Grant,
In method #1, Mackenzies 5000, the eggs are hard boiled; the yolks are then
removed and roasted in a frying pan until the oil begins to come out and
then they are pressed hard.  "Fifty eggs yield about 5 ounces of oil."  And
spirit of wine is brandy.

Roberts & Etherington mention oil of egg in their dictionary, _Bookbinding
and the Conservation of Books_ and reference Lydenberg & Archer's _The Care
and Repair of Books_ as their source.

"Oil of Egg.  A leather dressing obtained by extracting egg yolks with
ether or chloroform.  When oil of egg is used, it is usually followed by a
dressing of beeswax to impart a polished surface.  Oil of egg is seldom
used today as the sole ingredient of a leather dressing, althugh leather
dressings making use of it are still used to a limited extent."

I've checked through a dozen or so books on leather tanning/dressing dating
from mid-19th c. to date, and have found no reference to oil of egg, though
there are many egg yolk emulsions and egg white dressings discussed,
leading me to agree that it is not a common material.

Good luck....  :-)
Jack

>>Dear Grant,
>>I found this receipt in Mackenzies 5000. Don't know if it's exactly
>>what yr after.
>>To prepare oil from yolks of eggs.
>>method #2.  Dilute the raw yolks with a large proportion of water, and
>>add spirit of wine to separate the albumen, then the oil will rise on
>>the top after standing some time, and thus may be separated by a
>>funnel.
>>
>>I have read old eggs yield the greatest quantity.
>>Perhaps the spirit of wine is the same as ether + acetone.
>>May I ask, what are you going to use this for/on/with...
>>Regards
>>Charlene Matthews

                             Jack C. Thompson
                    Thompson Conservation Laboratory
                   The Caber Press * Istor Productions
                             7549 N. Fenwick
                           Portland, OR  97217
                        503/735-3942 (voice/fax)

                http://www.teleport.com/~tcl/index.html

              "Is a half-wit herbalist only parseley sage?"
                                        Don Guyot, 1996