"OIL OF DOG"

I have restrained myself from sharing crucial
biblio-literario info until the Oil of Egg
people had had their peckish ways with us.  Now,
unmuzzled, I draw to your attention to the truly
baffling.  Fact A: enterprising Stephen Blumberg
(see "The Book Thief  A True Tale of Biblio-
mania," Philip Weiss, Harper's Magazine, January
1994) kept his expropriated volumes in his home in
Ottumwa, Iowa.  FACT B:  this is the same city which
is the setting for "Oil of Dog," a modest tale by
Ambrose Bierce about another enterprising Iowan.
Learned list members, I ask you, is this merely
coincidence?