PAPER BOUND: The Latest Exhibition of the Guild of Book Workers

"PAPER BOUND," The Latest Exhibition of the Guild of Book Workers has now
opened online at <http://palimpsest.stanford.edu/byorg/gbw/>.

PAPER BOUND, the third in a series of "thematic" exhibitions, is a set-book
exhibition. The book, entitled "Paper: A Collection of Handmade Paper
Samples from the United States of America" is as the title implies a sampler
of handmade papers made in the Western tradition. Each of the folios
contains a statement by the maker, one of 27 included in the book. Peter and
Donna Thomas orchestrated the compilation and publishing of this work in an
edition binding of their own. In 1992 they approached the Guild with the
idea of mounting an exhibit of the book an idea which has now been realized.
21 binders some established, some new, elected to bind the sheets offered by
the Thomases and the result is an exhibit which compliments the richness and
diversity of textures in the samples. We also experimented with the concept
of a self juryed exhibit rather than judging the bindings and were not
disappointed. The art of the book has matured a great deal in the past two
decades a trend which we hope continues. The catalog was designed by Peter
Thomas and myself (Peter Verheyen), produced by Peter Thomas and the
photographs taken by Laura Brown who exquisitely captured the bindings. The
exhibit will travel to 5 sites across the nation and, for the first time,
can be seen online here, reaching a worldwide audience.

A catalog order form is also available at the exhibition site, so don't miss
out on getting your own copy from this edition which is limited to 500 copies.

Enjoy, Peter Verheyen

                                (0-0)
|  Peter D. Verheyen,  Exhibition Chairman, The Guild of Book Workers   |
|                <wk> 315.443.9937     <fax>315.443.9510                |
|  Email: pdverhey@dreamscape.com    WWW: http://web.syr.edu/~pdverhey/ |
|                 <Listowner>Book_Arts-L@listserv.syr.edu               |
                               |__|__|
                                || ||