Re: Copyright-copywrite

Ray,
I'm not a copyright attorney, but I am a publisher of original and
out-of-print material.  I use the same boilerplate for both categories.

Often, I will write an introduction; sometimes an index, table of contents,
technical glossary, etc.  Those items I consider covered by the current
copyright law.  The text and any illustrations are re-set (i.e.,
scanned/OCR'd, or re-typed) and are not (always) in the original order,
typeface, or size.  That is sort of a gray area of copyright.

For example, the iron gall ink text I'm publishing began with a 12 page
transcription of a 1596 English translation of a Dutch work.  I negotiated
reprinting that text with the university library holding a copy.  I've
added 52 pages to that. I'm copyrighting the entire work, except for one
section written by a colleague which is copyrighted in his name.

I'm also publishing a book on traditional leather production.  The original
text was published in Sweden in 1991.  I purchased the English language
rights and paid for a translation.  I've edited the translation, enlarged
the bibliography, etc.  Some of the illustrations were drawn by the
original author and I purchased the right to re-use those.  Some I had
re-drawn, and I own those.  Some, such as illustrations of 3400 year-old
Egyptian wall paintings, were taken from Waterer's contribution to Singer's
_A History of Technology_, and are being re-used with permission of the
publisher.

The copyright statement for that book will be a little more complex, but
you get the idea.

Illustrations or text which is reproduced, more or less the same size as
the original, by a photomechanical process, is, as I understand the law,
not covered by copyright.

In your case, I would keep the dust jacket!  If you plan to use a lot of
the images from this book, it wouldn't hurt to write to the copyright
department of Grammercy to clarify the issue.

Jack

>I just got a copy of "The complete encyclopedia of illustration"
>(Grammercy, 1996).  It is a republication of the two volume 1851 book,
>"The Iconographic Encyclopaedia of Science, Literature, and Art" and has
>added editorial revisions and a plate indexed table of contents (12,000
>illustrations) that the dust jacket says are:
>        "copyright free and clearly reproducible"

-cut-

>However, the above statements are contradicted by the copyright notice:
>        "No part of this book may be reproduced -cut- without
>written permission in writing from the publisher."
>
>Things get more interesting when the actual copyright information is
>examined.  It says:
>        "Special material copyright c 1979 by Crown Publishers, Inc. All
>rights reserved under International and Pan American Copyright Convention."
>
>My assumption is that the special material is the index and other
>additions, not any of the actual illustrations and that the warning about
>reproduction is Grammercy's boiler plate and that they received
>authorization from Crown for the republication of that material.
>
>Confused? Join the club.
>
>Does anyone have experience with whether or not the drawings are indeed
>public domain.  What about any restrictions on any other published "clip
>art" manuals such as the Hart Picture Archives?
>
>Comments appreciated.
>
>Ray*

Jack C. Thompson
Thompson Conservation Laboratory