Re: Copyright-copywrite

>Well, in the USA, Section 103 paragraph (b) of the copyright law says:
>
>(b) The copyright in a compilation or derivative work extends only
>to the material contributed by the author of such work, as
>distinguished from the preexisting material employed in the work,
>and does not imply any exclusive right in the preexisting material.
>The copyright in such work is independent of, and does not affect
>or enlarge the scope, duration, ownership, or subsistence of, any
>copyright protection in the preexisting material.
>

>[Some publishers put their standard boilerplate at the beginning of
>such books, even though it only applies to the new material.  So,
>you are cool. I don't know about the Hart Archives you mentioned --
>it depends how old are the sources they're using for the material;
>the book you mentioned is certainly old enough]

In other words, in a book of out-of-copyright illustrations, the page
layout of those illustrations is copyright (assuming the book isn't
simply a facsimile of an old layout), the contents page is copyright
and the copyright notice design is copyright. But the illustrations
cannot be. As long as you use the illustrations for something and don't
simply reprint the book as is, you will be fine.

Tim Sheppard                   tim@lilliput-p.win-uk.net
Lilliput Press  -   Publisher of fine books in miniature