Re: Copyright-copywrite

 On Thu, 5 Sep 1996, Rupert N. Evans wrote:

> At 10:36 PM 9/4/96 -0500 Michael E. Morin wrote:
> >>
> >> The publishers will defend their copyrighted material if pirated AND if
> >> the offense is worth defending in court (read $$$) but to use the risks of
> >> mass publishing to create a piracy snare net is just a plain dumb way to
> >> attempt to make money.
> >

> >   But some publishers do insert "errors" into text to catch competitors
> >who copy their material. Dictionary and encyclopedia publishers in
> >particular have been known to use this technique. Not to "attempt to
> >make money", mind you, but to stop pirating.
> >

> Also, map publishers.

> |   Rupert N. Evans                           Voice        217-337-7833
> |   Prairie Publications                              Fax           217-337-7469
> |   101 West Windsor Road, #4107     e-mail     r-evans4@uiuc.edu
> |   Urbana, IL 61802-6697

Spy vs Spy, publisher vs publisher...that I beleive. I once saw a
horribly printed bootlegged copy of a Dover reprint while on vacation in
Mexico and it seemed odd at the time to see a bootleg of a reprint
but I'm sure it is a common practice.

     M I C H A E L   M O R I N                M.F.A., M.L.S.

Director Celtic Press               Instructional Media Librarian
  Buffalo  New York                  D'Youville College Library
                    ba202@freenet.buffalo.edu
         Co-Moderator Buffalo Free-Net Preservation SIG