Local Oxidation Removal

Hello Book Arts People,
I wonder if any one out there can advise me.  I have an early 18th century
engraving that has a variety of small oxidation spots that I would like to
remove.  Is it possible to get rid of these rust spots?  Naturally they are
right in the middle of engraved areas.  Though they are small, they have
corroded the paper in some places.  Is it possible to neutralize these spots so
as to stop further oxidation?  If removal is impossible is there a way to reduce
the intensity of the color?  The print is very large and in otherwise very good
shape.  Suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Pamela Moore
101654,1377@compuserve.