Keith Smith sewings

The second volume of Ketih Smith's books is devoted to 1-2-and 3 section
sewings.  In the illustrations the holes for each section are quite far
apart, which makes the design of the stitches very obvious.  But it seems
to me that in real life you can't make the rows of stitches that far
apart unless you want a very pie shaped book.  I tried one with 12 sheets
in each section.  It did spread the pattern but it was hard to sew and
was too bulky to really fold right.  Does anyone have any tricks or
thoughts on this?

Joyce Jenkins
Petersburg Public Library
Alaska